Working as an Art Director at WOWIO, an e-book publisher and distributor with larger media aspirations, redesigning a site called DrunkDuck.com, one of the largest webcomics-hosting sites (about 100,000 users, about 25,000 comics). They were reprogramming the site from the ground up in Python, and wanted a design overhaul to go with it. During the redesign they decided to re-brand to "The Duck Webcomics" in order to appeal to larger audiences.
The original DrunkDuck, built before they acquired it, had been clattering along for a few years on a patched-together code base, in the grand tradition of seat-of-your-pants development. The old site needed to be rebuilt with new code, new database structure, etc., to modernize it and improve performance and scalability for the long term.
I did a lot of work on this project, from redesigning the original Drunk Duck logo to completely overhauling the site design from the ground up (as lead designer and art director, with other people doing the actual coding, just to be clear about that – I'm no programmer but I did dabble in my youth, so I interface pretty well with developers).
I answered to a creative director, but I was the lead designer, my responsibilities included logo design (two, in fact), graphic design, art direction of original spokes-cartoons, icons and badges – really every pixel of design on every button and headline – saved out and delivered as assets to the dev team for implementation. Quite a project.
BELOW: Design sequence, from low-fi wires to hi-fidelity mockups, asset output and handing everything over to the in-house developers.